Before a cake can be decorated, the decorator must assemble the
necessary supplies. Here are some supplies that may be needed.
- Confectioners' sugar, also called powdered sugar or 10X sugar, is
used in the icing and is generally available at your local grocer.
- Icing flavorings are generally available at your local grocer.
For a broader variety, check out cake decorating suppliers.
- Cake decorating food colorants are available in various types.
Concentrated gel pastes and liquid pastes, dust colors, spray colors in
a can, airbrush color, food coloring pens, powdered colorants, and
colored sugar crystals. Some of these more specialized colorants
are only available from cake decorating suppliers.
- Piping gel is a transparent gel used for decorating or writing.
It can be tinted any color.
- Meringue powder is made from a dried egg white product. It is
generally used for royal icing, sugar molds, and a stabilizer
in buttercream icing.
- Color flow mix is an egg white based product used to make color
flow icing. The thinned color flow icing is poured into a shape
made by full strength color flow. The shape is allowed to dry
(about 48 hours) until it is hard.
- Cake toppers, including all kinds of figurines, bridges, fountains,
and decorative items, are popular accessories especially used
for wedding cakes.
- Cake boards are made from corrugated cardboard in the correct size
and shape to provide a base for the cake. Sometimes a wood base
is used to hold the weight of a tiered cake. These bases can be
covered with foil, or perhaps a doily, for decoration.
- Separator plates are supporting plates used for tiered cakes.
Pins or dowel rods are used to support these plates.
Birthday cake with pink piped decorations
Copyright © 2006-2015 CakeDecorating.us. All rights reserved.
Cake Decorating Supplies